TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Dogs Running at Large
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dogs Running at Large Login/Join 
posted
Some citizens living outside of the city limits are having a problem with dogs running at large. The owners of the dogs are not keeping them on a leash or fenced in.

Can a county regulate dogs running at large by ordinance or by some other means?

Posts: 39 | Location: Haskell, Texas USA | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently received a book from TAC - unrequested - on animal control. Under Health & Safety 822 Sub C, the county can hold an election which would result in registration and regulation of dogs in the county. Most rural counties are not about to go there, so look at Sub B concerning dogs dangerous to animals. Subs A and D regulate dogs dangerous to people.

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have the same problem, but worse because rather than calling to complain the other party has just taken to shooting at the dogs, which is a big mistake. Now the dog owner who does not take care of his dog is wanting to prosecute the shooter for animal cruelty. I'd like to suggest that they settle it with a duel to the finish, but that's probably not legal either.

I ended up sending a warning letter to both parties (luckily the dog was not injured) educating them on the law, and advising them of the possible ramifications of their actions. I included a suggestion that they settle their differences in a civil suit in JP court, thus leaving me out of it.

Posts: 29 | Location: Baird, TX USA | Registered: April 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post