TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Budget Meltdown
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Budget Meltdown Login/Join 
posted
Commissioners Court had their second public meeting today, before passage of the budget, and it appears the budget will not pass. Chaper 111 of Gov't Code states Commissioners Court has to pass someting before they set the tax rate, i.e. have to take some affrimative action before tax rate is set. Our fiscal year ends 9/30/09. Auditor has checked with his people and he can't sign checks because there is no money in the budget, as of 10/1/09, to debit against. What functions of county business, if any, go home on 10/1/09 if no budget is in place?

Posts: 7 | Location: Goliad, Texas | Registered: May 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AG op. # WW-1210 (1961) says that time is not of the essence in passing a budget. The San Antonio Court of Appeals basically said the same thing in Gravis, 337 SW2d 306.
Loc. Govt. Code sec 111.012 creates what amounts to a class A misdemeanor for refusing to comply with subchapter A of ch. 111 in couties that size, but that would only apply, in my opinion, to a very egregious, fact-specific situation where the refusal was for some arbitrary or capricious reason. Hope that's not your situation. Nevertheless, it will be a headache for your auditor and treasurer. It may even affect some of your grants which require matching funds. Good luck.

Posts: 48 | Location: Hill County | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess you need to start with the proposition that those who have failed don't get paid.

Posts: 267 | Location: Mansfield, Texas | Registered: August 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post