TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    teleconferencing cps
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

teleconferencing cps Login/Join 
posted
In 2005, the Legislature said the dept "shall" expand the use of teleconferencing and videoconferencing to facilitate participation by medical experts and other individuals in court proceedings, subject to funding. 264.0091 fam code.

I would love to hear from anyone out there who is regularly using this type of technology in CPS hearings/trials, especially for expert witnesses. I'd like to know how you are doing it, whether the courts like it, where's the $$$ for it, etc. Thank you.

Posts: 36 | Location: Corpus Christi, TX 78401 | Registered: January 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a terrible time getting money to pay for medical experts in cps cases- I have three chidren who need neuropsychs and the department is unable to pay for them. They are on a one year waiting list through medicaid. I have not seen any evidence that this statute actually means anything. Nice to know there is another ADA that uses this forum for CPS issues though!

Posts: 131 | Location: Hondo, Texas | Registered: November 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Sara. I should have used telephone testimony from the pediatric staff at Dell Children's Hospital in a full adversarial hearing recently. The doctor's affidavit was admitted but his live testimony would have given us a better result because he could have more strongly worded his concerns about the child's unexplainable injuries. His schedule might not have allowed him to come out to testify, but he would have testified via telephone. The statute will help me in the future to persuade the court to allow it, though I think the Judge would have anyway. I'll do better next time.

Posts: 18 | Location: Bastrop, TX. USA | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in Bexar County (San Antonio) we use video and audio conferencing on a daily basis. Both of our childrens courtrooms have video and we use mostly for parents who are incarcerated in the County Jail or TDC facility. You are welcome to come by and see how our system works.

Posts: 3 | Location: San Antonio, Texas, Bexar | Registered: March 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post