TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Violation of a City Charter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Violation of a City Charter Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone know of a criminal sanction for intentionally violating a City Charter, but not a city ordinance?

Our concern is that City Charter may not fit the definition of "law" as per 1.07 TPC as it applies to official oppression and abuse of official capacity.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 100 | Location: Beaumont, Texas, USA | Registered: February 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Under that old Latin rule not only is City Charter not expressly included, municipal ordinance, which you say the charter is not, makes the list. So I doubt you can make a criminal case out of that definition. Have you asked criminal forum?

Posts: 267 | Location: Mansfield, Texas | Registered: August 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ray. Yes I did get some feed back over the phone from my post on the criminal forum.

Civil case law seems to support the idea that a city charter is "law" as the charter is expressly authorized by the state constitution and by the Local Government Code.

Posts: 100 | Location: Beaumont, Texas, USA | Registered: February 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post