TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Guardianships of elderly
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guardianships of elderly Login/Join 
posted
We've had a question from one of our members asking if any prosecutor's offices have done a guardianship of elderly persons who do not qualify for Emergency Protective Orders but who definitely need some type of commitment.

If you have any information, either respond to this post or call me (Erik) at TDCAA at (512)474-2436. Thanks.

Posts: 30 | Location: austin, tx, usa | Registered: January 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Joni Sager>
posted
Hi Erik! The Harris County Attorney's Office has such a guardianship program, and Mary McKerall wrote an article on this topic for the newsletter back in 1998. She can be reached at 713/755-5101.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just had a case where the PRS came in an did a guardianship for an elderly lady, naming the PRS as her guardian. They did all the paperwork, court docs, etc. I represented them at the two hearings. Why would the CA or DA want to do a guardianship on their own if the PRS will do it? If the PRS declines because they think the person does not require a guardian, then the person does not require a guardian. Is there something I'm missing?

Posts: 244 | Registered: November 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post