TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Duties of the sheriff--assign courthouse offices?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Duties of the sheriff--assign courthouse offices? Login/Join 
posted
Who has authority to assign office space in the county courthouse? I heard it was the sheriff's responsibility. Is this true?

Posts: 686 | Location: Beeville, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Section 291.003 of the Local Government Code provides that the sheriff has "charge and control of the county courthouse, subject to the regulations of the commissioners court." This comports with the general principle under article 5, section 18 of the constitution that the commissioners court has charge of the county's business, including decisions regarding use and allocation of its real property. In short, it is the commissioners court that makes the call about which you inquire.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Scott. Also, Brooks' Vol 35 of TX Practice Guide at Section 5.15 is in agreement. Brooks notes: "There is lingering sentiment among some officials that the courthouse is controlled by the county sheriff despite the clear authority of the commissioners court to manage the courthouse. This misconception is possibly due to a statute which provides that the sheriffs shall "have charge and control of the county courthouse" of their respective counties subject to regulations prescribed by the commissioners court.

Posts: 244 | Registered: November 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's the matter, Terry? Did they move your desk into that little office where they store the mop bucket? That's what happened to me while I was in Austin . . .

Posts: 2138 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's right--and the sheriff is a friend of mine.

Posts: 686 | Location: Beeville, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Terry, were you placed in the closet for security reasons?

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In one of my 3 counties the blood between the sheriff and the county judge is so bad that I think the sheriff would put the county judge in a closet for security reasons if he could get away with it. But, about the biggest "security problem" we have is that sometimes people forget to lock the courthouse door when they leave at night.

posted Hide Post
About 25 years ago the Delta County Sheriff moved the County Judge's office to the men's room in the basement ... made Texas Monthly.

Posts: 78 | Location: Belton, Texas | Registered: May 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post