TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    population: census recognition/code construction act
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

population: census recognition/code construction act Login/Join 
posted
Code Construction Act 311.005 defines population as "shown by the most recent decennial census." It does not indicate that a published census is not to be recognized until September 1. Gov. Code 2058.001 says a political subdivision may not recognize or act on a census until Sept 1 following the year the census is taken. But 2058.001 makes no mention of statutory construction and was originally enacted prior to the CCA.
Anybody have an opinion on whether 2058.001 applies to statutory construction of Texas statutes? If so, why is it not mentioned or included in the CCA?

Posts: 25 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: June 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think it is anything other than the usual: related Texas statutes on many topics are scattered around in different places. They must be rooted out and then read toether.

Posts: 341 | Location: Tarrant County, Texas | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess that�s right. It just bugs me for some reason. Oh well! Thanks, Ann. Smile

Posts: 25 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: June 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The 82nd Lege passed HB 2702 this session to change many population references in various state laws. The intent is to avoid some unintended changes in law due to the newest census figures.

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post