TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    work force development center
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

work force development center Login/Join 
posted
Our local Junior College (Blinn) is currently building a Workforce Development/Job traing facilty. They have solicited funds from the county for the construction and operation. I can not find any authority for a county to expend funds in this manner. Have I missed anything?

Posts: 47 | Location: Brenham, Texas | Registered: January 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting question but not always an easy determination. See AG Opinion No. JC-0439 for a discussion of spending funds on non-profit agencies. While not exactly your facts, you might find the analysis helpful.

To my mind, the closest area of authorization might be the county duties toward the poor/indigent. If the county responsibilities extends to helping them develop work skills so they are no longer need public assistance, partnering with another entity to provide those programs might be acceptable. You might look at Tx.Const. ART.IX. COUNTIES � 14. County poor house and farm; and, Gov't Code � 1301.001. Issuance and Authorization (bonds for among other things, facilities for the county needy and poor) to determine your authority relative to how Blinn was going to use the facility. In this area you might find Op.Atty.Gen.1940, No. 0-2474 historically interesting and perhaps helpful. Big Grin

Posts: 39 | Location: Travis | Registered: May 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I presume this request is from a Chapter 2308 Workforce Development Board. Since they are created pursuant to state law for the purpose of putting together programs to rid the county of unemployment, they probably have an "in" on getting money from you. However, there are prohibitions if you perform work for them. They are the successor of JTPA which was county run so your county might well perform work for the Board. They are not a "typical" non profit since your Commissioners Court appoints at least part of the Board. Eek

Posts: 267 | Location: Mansfield, Texas | Registered: August 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post