TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Correction of Commissioners Court Order
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Correction of Commissioners Court Order Login/Join 
posted
Our Commissioners Court enacted a county-wide burn ban back in December. I was not consulted during the process, and when I looked at the order that was signed and will be put into the minutes, I find that the order was merely a form with choices in it regarding the scope of the ban, etc. None of the choices are circled or lined through, so none were made when the order was signed. There is some controversy about the ban, and I think this order as it stands is completely unenforceable due to the clerical errors.

My question is, can we simply substitute a correct order (the current one has not been placed on the minutes of the court as far as being imaged or indexed) or do we need to do a nunc pro tunc order. If nunc pro tunc, does that have to come back through the court?

Posts: 366 | Location: Plainview, Hale County | Registered: January 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jim, the prudent thing to do would be to redraft the order correctly and put it on the court agenda to replace the ineffective order.

Posts: 171 | Location: Belton, Texas, USA | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed. That's particularly true, since drought-prompted burn bans need to be reviewed periodically (every 90 days or 7 days, depending on how you do it) anyway. Why not give the county a fresh time period by enacting a proper order (presuming that you, like us, remain dryer than a popcorn belch)?

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A little training goes a very long way. Between my county clerk and the secretary for the county judge, my court is kept pretty well in line even when I'm out of pocket.

When we started, she would have filed anything for the court - now she looks at it and raises questions. If you can teach yours to look at such things in the future, the problem can be avoided...

SO far as solutions go, I think you have heard the best available!

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the input.

It looks like the burn ban will probably disappear on Monday, any way. I am glad to have some information for future reference, though.

Posts: 366 | Location: Plainview, Hale County | Registered: January 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been made aware of an order of the Comm Ct. that was entered over six years ago regarding the closing, abandoning, and vacating of a road in the county. The problem is that the field notes describing the portion to be closed attached to the order are completely incorrect. I am thinking that the procedures outlined above would be sufficient to correct the order. What do ya'll think?

Posts: 106 | Location: Uvalde, Texas | Registered: May 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rick's comment works. It might not relate back six years but would certainly clarify the issue.

Posts: 267 | Location: Mansfield, Texas | Registered: August 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Ray.

Posts: 106 | Location: Uvalde, Texas | Registered: May 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post