TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Dallas County Constables
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dallas County Constables Login/Join 
posted
I got a speeding ticket from the Dallas County Constable in our area. I've been doing some research on their role/duties, but can find nothing that says they can right speeding tickets. My understanding from what I've read is that they are there for support of the Justice Department, handing out warrants, and such, does anyone know if by law (meaning the Texas Constitution) can they write speeding tickets and is it admissable in court? I know it's done all the time, but has it ever been fought in court?

Posts: 3 | Location: Irving, TX | Registered: September 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
You must have REALLY been speeding if the officer wouldn't let a fellow "officer of the court" go with just a wink and a warning...

Posts: 2424 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Code of Criminal Procedure, at article 2.12(2), provides that constables and their deputies are peace officers. Thus, to the extent a "peace officer" can effect an arrest, or issuance of a citation without an arrest, they can do so. In our neck of the woods, the problem with constables isn't their authority to work traffic and other law enforcement duties; it's their penchant for not doing so but demanding a big paycheck anyway.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Much like the Naitonal constitution, the acts and rights of a peace officer are oultined on three basis. State; County; and City. County and City are obviously more specific than that of state. If it is a constable you should look more to the county descrition of the acts and duties of a peace officer within the county that he serves. I htink you will find what you are looking for there. In a shorter terms the county gives the Constable the right to issue a citation for the endangerment of those citizens within his district.

Posts: 3 | Location: SanAntonio, Texas | Registered: October 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post