TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Setting up non-profit board to run county facility????
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Setting up non-profit board to run county facility???? Login/Join 
posted
Ok, a group in town would like the county to set up a motocross park on a section of unused county land. Now, I know my commissioners would likely be against something like that if they had to run it and maintain it all the time.

I know some counties have built arenas and other facilities that are subsequently operated by a non-profit board. Does anyone have experience with a situation like this? Suggestions?

Thanks!

John

Posts: 115 | Location: Andrews, Texas | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks like this would fall under the recreational facility provisions of the government code. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

Posts: 115 | Location: Andrews, Texas | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We recently began operating our civic center with volunteers rather than hiring paid county employees. Not exactly your situation, but similar. Scott Brumley, Potter County Attorney, suggested this to us, based upon volunteers operating a railway museum in Potter County. You might contact Scott for more details.

Posts: 244 | Registered: November 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our coliseum was nearly closed several years ago - it was in the red and the commissioners didn't want to mess with it.

The solution was a volunteer board appointed by the commissioners and made up of persons with an interest in keeping the facility open. While I sometimes have to remind them that the funds that they bring in are COUNTY money, not their own Roll Eyes it has worked out pretty well. Recently, they made a presentation to the County concerning needed improvements and how to finance them. The facility is no longer a major headache for the county, and it is being operated by people who use it and know what it needs.

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post