TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    animal seizures I need help.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

animal seizures I need help. Login/Join 
posted
Is there anyone maybe from rural counties such as mine that deal with these.
I appreciate any responses

Posts: 4 | Registered: June 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could you give us some more details? Are we talking about animals having seizures, or are you wanting to seize animals? What size animals are we talking about? Horses, cats....?

You might start at Health and Safety Code, Chapter 822 (822.002 on seizing a dog causing death or SBI), and similar issues.

If you are talking about seizing animals that are being maltreated, starved, etc., as I recall, the sheriff has the authority and responsibility to seize animals and hold them, billing the owner for costs. I also recall that a hearing before the JP is involved, but I can't find the section right now.

Posts: 244 | Registered: November 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
for those who need for info on what I'm looking for. I'm looking for how to conduct the hearings, best evidence etc.

Posts: 4 | Registered: June 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was in Bastrop we did some cattle forfeitures during a dought and we had a book called Livestock Laws of Texas that was put together by the Texas Cattleman's Assn. that had a checklist in it on the procedure for doing cattle/goat/horse seizures in the JP Court but that was 10 years ago.

I remember it was a pain in the you know what. We ended up losing one of the cases and the SO was left with a $4000 vet bill for boarding the cattle.

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No good deed goes unpunished!

Posts: 244 | Registered: November 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We seized some dogs from a puppy, uh, "farm" once. I was sued in Federal Court for $20,000,000.00 in damages, and my death by hanging for treason and dog rustling.

I never was clear on if they wanted me to keep woring until I had paid them $20,000,000.00, and then hang me, or if they wanted me hung right away, and expected that they would collect $20,000,000.00 from my estate.

Posts: 86 | Location: Floresville, TX USA | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, we really aren't beams of sunshine for trini are we ??

Don't keep us in suspense Russ, what happened with the fed case (since you're still typing I'm assuming the hanging is still pending Wink)

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Markus Kypreos>
posted
I'm pretty sure there is a copy of the Livestock Laws floating around TDCAA. It might be a good idea to call the new Research Attorney and ask him to find it. Tell him I said hello.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the few I prepared for (only went on one), the animal control officers (the livestock deputy was the best) had reports prepared, I had contacted witnesses, and treated it like a normal case. It's good to keep the law handy, though, to be able to explain to the JP what you need to show (and, of course, did show) and the standards of proof.

Good luck. Don't let your vet kill the horse (it happened to me).

Posts: 22 | Location: Brownsville, Texas | Registered: January 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If this is still an issue give me a call at the Johnson County Attorney's Office in Cleburne, Texas. I have some pleadings and orders that I have genrated over the years on "Dangerous Dogs" as well as cruelly treated animals.

Jim Simpson

Posts: 8 | Location: Cleburne, Texas, USA | Registered: June 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post