TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    County Court at Law
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

County Court at Law Login/Join 
posted
My county is thinking about trying to get a County court at Law. I am trying to determine the pro's and con's (other than cost) Can a Judge have a private practice? I realize the potential conflicts but I seem to recall recent decisions that say absolutely not. Also I know they can very broad civil jurisdiction. Can they handle felonys also? Any other pitfalls?
My commissioners are trying to figure out how to do it as cheaply as possible. big surprise.

Posts: 106 | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your county has pre-numbered sections in the Government Code for the creation of a county court at law; see Sec. 25.0361 to 25.0370.

The legislation creating the court establishes the authority of the court to handle cases. The court could handle civil, family, juvenile, probate, and felony and misdemeanor criminal cases, if so desired. It may be as narrow or broad as circumstance require.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Randal:

The legislation to draft a CCL can give the court authority to do just about anything. I am the judge of a CCL in Gregg County. Our court has unlimited civil jurisdiction and unlimited felony jurisdiction, except death penalty case. If you want me to, I can send you the legislation that created our court in 2001.

As for private practice, I am not sure on that. Harrison County. our neighbor to the east, has language in the legislation that created their CCL, that allows a private practice.

Posts: 11 | Location: Longview, Texas USA | Registered: March 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I am compiling the options now. As the decision gets closer I'LL contact you.

Posts: 106 | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are the smallest county with a CCL. There have been times it has been helpful, but in many ways we would like to get rid of it. Feel free to email me privately for details.

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post