TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Eminent Domain strikes again.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eminent Domain strikes again. Login/Join 
posted
I received this on a tweet from TAC over the holidays, and thought I would share.

http://www.county.org/magazine...eminent%20domain.pdf

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We received several copies in the mail today....Appears the state didn't get the participation they wanted in 2011, so here we go again!

Posts: 568 | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have looked over the list that TAC sent out, and it appears that there are a lot of statutes on there that apply to special districts (e.g., hospital districts) and not to counties. I would not include them on our list of authorities, but I wondered if anyone else plans to do so.

Also, given that the Framers clearly understood the power of eminent domain to exist when they adopted the Constitution, I am considering listing a date along the lines of "1789 or before" as the origin of the County's authority. Too cute?

Posts: 366 | Location: Plainview, Hale County | Registered: January 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I figure we couldn't use the power before we existed, so I put the date of the creation of the county. Then again, I'm not exactly convinced that anyone will pay any attention to what we submit - at least not beyond noting who did and did not comply...just like last time.

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seeems like "The Code of Hammurabi, yadda, yadda, yadda...." should cover it.

Posts: 63 | Location: Midland, TX | Registered: September 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last gripe about this process (for 2016, anyway): the electronic reporting form/system is not very easy to use, or figure out. More instructions would be nice. I would rather upload a PDF listing our sources of authority, like we did last time. The young man that I spoke with on the phone to ask questions, however, was very nice and helpful.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jim Tirey,

Posts: 366 | Location: Plainview, Hale County | Registered: January 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, Jim, it was a bit unwieldy. And we have no document showing our selections just a confirmation page. Was that other's experience?

Posts: 267 | Location: Mansfield, Texas | Registered: August 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did a print screen to get a confirmation.

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney