TDCAA Community
Eminent Domain strikes again.

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/257098965/m/6787081516

December 29, 2015, 09:50
Lisa Peterson
Eminent Domain strikes again.
I received this on a tweet from TAC over the holidays, and thought I would share.

http://www.county.org/magazine...eminent%20domain.pdf

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney
December 29, 2015, 14:21
mhartman
We received several copies in the mail today....Appears the state didn't get the participation they wanted in 2011, so here we go again!
January 06, 2016, 15:42
Jim Tirey
I have looked over the list that TAC sent out, and it appears that there are a lot of statutes on there that apply to special districts (e.g., hospital districts) and not to counties. I would not include them on our list of authorities, but I wondered if anyone else plans to do so.

Also, given that the Framers clearly understood the power of eminent domain to exist when they adopted the Constitution, I am considering listing a date along the lines of "1789 or before" as the origin of the County's authority. Too cute?
January 07, 2016, 13:48
Lisa Peterson
I figure we couldn't use the power before we existed, so I put the date of the creation of the county. Then again, I'm not exactly convinced that anyone will pay any attention to what we submit - at least not beyond noting who did and did not comply...just like last time.

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney
January 07, 2016, 17:06
russwm
It seeems like "The Code of Hammurabi, yadda, yadda, yadda...." should cover it.
January 14, 2016, 10:32
Jim Tirey
Last gripe about this process (for 2016, anyway): the electronic reporting form/system is not very easy to use, or figure out. More instructions would be nice. I would rather upload a PDF listing our sources of authority, like we did last time. The young man that I spoke with on the phone to ask questions, however, was very nice and helpful.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jim Tirey,
January 20, 2016, 11:17
Ray
Yes, Jim, it was a bit unwieldy. And we have no document showing our selections just a confirmation page. Was that other's experience?
January 21, 2016, 11:11
Lisa Peterson
I did a print screen to get a confirmation.

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney