TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Waiver of Conflict of Interest by a Governmental Entity
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Waiver of Conflict of Interest by a Governmental Entity Login/Join 
posted
We are one step closer to solving our little ethical dilemma involving our county judge practicing law in our county. I recieved an Ethics Opinion yesterday confirming that it is a conflict of interest on his part. Before he can practice in the courts of our county, he must get a waiver of the conflict from both his client and the county.

Which brings me to the next question: How does one seek or receive a waiver of conflict of interest from a governmental entity?

I plan on requesting an Attorney General's opinion, but I was hoping to find some ideas to present with my request. The more I think about it, the less sure I am that there is a way to do it. Any suggestions from you bright people?

Posts: 77 | Location: Nacogdoches County, Texas | Registered: April 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When it comes to the criminal matter, I can't see how the "county" matters...it is the State, isn't it? And you are the attorney for the State, so it seems tht you should be the one to sign -- or not sign -- a waiver....

What's the cite on that ethics opinion? Sounds like a good one to store for future use.

Posts: 273 | Registered: January 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post