TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Cash Bond/Court Costs & Attorney's Fees
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cash Bond/Court Costs & Attorney's Fees Login/Join 
posted
If a defendant is convicted, is there a way to get the money for the court costs and attorney's fees out of the cash bond? The defendant was convicted, placed on probation, and is now trying to get his cash bond back.

Posts: 58 | Registered: August 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the original terms of supervision ordered the defendant to pay court costs, attorney's fees, etc. on a monthly pamynet plan, you can file a motion to modify the terms of supervision to require those amounts to be paid within x days. It may be possible for the court to modify these particular terms sua sponte, without a hearing, but it would probably be "safer" to file the motion and have a hearing. I have included language in the past in guilty plea cases that the defendant is ordered to pay court costs, etc. from the proceeds of the cash bond, and have not had a formal complaint (thought there was certainly plenty of complaining!).

Posts: 325 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: November 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See also LGC 154.042/154.045.

Posts: 39 | Location: Travis | Registered: May 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For what its worth...
I get the defendant to sign a waiver of his interest to the bond and an order from the judge applying the bond to fees, fines, restitution, etc. when I do a plea bargain, and if there is a remainder it goes back to the defendant. This has worked well for us.

Posts: 15 | Location: Silverton, Briscoe County, Texas | Registered: November 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess we won't being doing this anymore....see GA-0773

If this same reasoning applies to appeal bonds, the way we handle traffic ticket appeals to county court just turned into a lot more work.

Posts: 15 | Location: Silverton, Briscoe County, Texas | Registered: November 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post