TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    911 tapes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

911 tapes Login/Join 
posted
I'm doing some 911 tape research...it looks to me like at least some portions of a 911 tape are subject to disclosure under the PIA? Or, does the litigation exception apply to this stuff?

Posts: 273 | Registered: January 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I copy and pasted this from the AG's web page
www.oag.state.tx.us "Open Gov't" Publications (downloadable PIA Handbook):

c. Records of 9-1-1 Calls

Originating telephone numbers and addresses furnished on a call-by-call basis by a service supplier to a 9-1-1 emergency communication district established under subchapter B, C, or D of chapter 772 of the Health and Safety Code are confidential under chapter 772 of the Health and Safety Code.(530) Chapter 772 does not except from disclosure any other information contained on a computer aided dispatch report that was obtained during a 9-1-1 call.(531) Subchapter E, which applies to counties with populations over 1.5 million, does not contain a similar confidentiality provision. Other exceptions to disclosure in the Public Information Act may apply to information not otherwise confidential under section 772.318 of the Health and Safety Code.(532)

Also, go to the AG web page and look under "Letter Rulings." Search for rulings regarding 9-1-1 info. I had a couple of these when I was an Asst. City Attorney. You could probably type in my last name (DeCluitt) and pull up a couple. I seem to remember that the informer's privilege applies in some cases, as does the "open investigation" exception.
Hope this helps.

Posts: 33 | Registered: July 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It does indeed, thanks.

Posts: 273 | Registered: January 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post