TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Chapter 59 Forfeiture
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chapter 59 Forfeiture Login/Join 
posted
Can you file a forfeiture hearing in JP Court?

Posts: 28 | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chapter 59 forfeitures can ONLY be filed in a District Court. See 59.04(b). Are you possibly thinking of a forfeiture under Art. 18.18 or 18.19?

[This message was edited by John Greenwood on 09-01-11 at .]

Posts: 261 | Location: Lampasas, Texas, USA | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believed that it could only be done in District Court, but one was filed in JP Court in my county.

Posts: 28 | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The discussion above is correct about the fact that jurisdiction over a chapter 59 forfeiture proceeding is fixed in district court. The only note I would add is that, under art. 18.10, a motion for return of seized property may be filed with the magistrate who issued the search warrant, so you may want to ensure that isn't the case. See In re Cornyn, 27 S.W.3d 327, 335-36 (Tex. App.--Houston [1st Dist.] 2000, no pet.) (magistrate who issues warrant has dominant jurisdiction over suit for return of property seized under warrant).

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post