TDCAA Community
CPS DA's (stepchildren)

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/257098965/m/7681035331

July 06, 2006, 13:49
Sara
CPS DA's (stepchildren)
Any other assistants who are assigned the CPS caseload in their counties unhappy with being left out of the civil and criminal annual update? What are we chopped liver?
July 06, 2006, 14:11
Stacey L. Brownlee
I know how you feel, juvi used to get left out all the time too.

You guys did get your own track at TDCAA's sex crimes seminar !
July 06, 2006, 14:52
Scott Brumley
I'm one of the nameless faces among the Civil Committee, which is responsible for planning the civil track at the Annual. Given that my office carries a substantial CPS caseload, I share your desire to see CPS issues covered. Indeed, for quite some time I, too, knew the joy that is CPS work. As I recall, the original plan from the Training Committee was to assign a special breakout track for CPS work, since it is so ubiquitous and, to a certain extent, specialized. That's why it wasn't covered in depth in the civil track (indeed, giving CPS practice the attention it deserves probably would consume the entire civil track and then some). That it was left altogether uncovered is -- as you suggest -- unacceptable. I'll address it at the next meeting.

And, no. Lawyers assigned to CPS cases aren't chopped liver. Our CPS lawyer is more akin to a strange cross between pate and barbecue. I'm more bologna, myself.

P.S. Stacey: There's a different, intrigue-filled story about juvi issues, but I can't tell you about them until I'm accepted into the federal witness protection program.
July 06, 2006, 17:24
erik
Howdy, y'all. As TDCAA's training director, I am always looking for feedback and ideas for improving the training that we provide, and so I wanted to make sure that you did not think we were ignoring you. I understand the frustration that y'all may have about the lack of CPS tracks or DWI tracks or Juvenile tracks at this year's annual, but I wanted to ensure that you all knew that this decision was not made lightly.

The decision was made to not include these tracks for several reasons, but primarily it was for these reasons:

* that we were already providing the training for these tracks in other seminars (DWI training throughout the year with Clay Abbott, juvenile training on our summer regional tour, and a CPS track in our four-day training on Child Sex Abuse that concluded a couple weeks ago);

* that South Padre is a horrible venue for "breakouts" because of the inflexibility of the convention center to create rooms that hold more than 20 but less than 400;

* that it was a non-legislative year, so there was no statutory changes to "update"; and

* that the number of tracks exponentially increases our overall costs as it involves more speakers, handouts, etc. and we have to balance that against how many attendees we can expect for each track.

Next year, there will not be a child abuse seminar with a CPS component during the summer and it will be a legislative year, so I can assure you there will be a CPS track at next year's annual. However, for the reasons above, the training committee and I decided not to include it in this year's tracks.

I hope that helps explain how we reached our decision. Please feel free to contact me with any additional questions or comments you may have, or post them here.

And again, please know that I really appreciate the work y'all do and I love the opportunity to hopefully help you do it better. It's why I took the job.
July 06, 2006, 19:01
JB
Who is this Erik guy? Sounds like a sensitive type.
July 07, 2006, 10:45
GG
Too bad you missed the sexual assault seminar, Sara. It was perhaps the best TDCAA seminar I have attended in 16 years of membership. I was especially impressed by Ben Leonard and his humorous yet right on the money style. Lots of other great presenters as well.
July 07, 2006, 13:26
Sara
Unfortunately as the only CPS attorney in our office, I have to plan my seminars in advance. The brochure for that seminar did not come out until 5 weeks before the seminar was to begin! And the Civil seminar ttaditionally in Kerrville never has a CPS trac!!!!!
July 07, 2006, 13:37
GG
They had a great CPS trac at the seminar. Hope you are well.
July 07, 2006, 14:46
Stacey L. Brownlee
Keep on Sara and you are going to find yourself on the planning committee Wink
July 08, 2006, 20:40
Shannon Edmonds
For advanced notice on future seminars, don't forget to check your copy of the Texas Prosecutor, which always includes a full calendar of future seminars, and the seminars page of this website, which often lists upcoming seminars 4-5 months beforehand:

TDCAA seminar page
July 08, 2006, 21:25
JB
But, Shannon, it would be even nicer if you would give us a nice call every now and then. Nothing like that personal touch.
July 09, 2006, 10:02
Sara
I called the TDCAA 8 weeks prior to the seminar to see if it would include a CPS trac and the person I spoke to said that they did not know and that the agenda would be posted in 2 weeks. I would be happy to be on a planning committee. I am sorry if I sound frustrated but well.... I am!
July 09, 2006, 19:05
GG
Sara

Send your mailing addy and I'll send the cps part of my notebook via usps. I know it is not cle hours but the material was excellent, and at least you could get 5 hours self study credit out of it. Smile
July 10, 2006, 17:36
Shannon Edmonds
quote:
Originally posted by sara:
I would be happy to be on a planning committee. I am sorry if I sound frustrated but well.... I am!

And we'd be happy to have your help, Sara ... but your forum profile has no identifying or contact information on it. So if you would like to email me, we can put you on the list for future committee work! Smile
July 11, 2006, 12:20
sp
The Annual Juvenile Law Conference held in February of each year had a CPS break-out this year (see www.juvenilelaw.org for posted papers) and will have a CPS break-out next February in Houston, Tx.
July 11, 2006, 14:51
Sara
I am in Mcclennan County. I would edit my information in this system but I can't figure out how to do it. Any CLE available on that topic? Roll Eyes
July 11, 2006, 14:56
GG
There was at the seminar in June. Eek
July 11, 2006, 16:27
Ray
Dear Sara from Waco,
Those who help in planning the seminars will respond to your concerns. I realize that checking every so often on the website to know what will be on the seminars would be a pain. But being on the planning committee will take care of that problem. Roll Eyes

While I am hopeful that Shannon will call me like he used to call John B., I suspect looking the seminar schedule over from time to time will have to work for now. Frankly, Shannon's personal phone calls are a bit overrated anyway.

In order to help in timing when you should look on the website for the annual or the civil seminar in the spring here is a series of tips:

The planning for the Civil in the Spring occurs in the fall or at least by the middle of January. The reason for this is that committees are appointed effective with the first of the year so Civil planning takes place with the new year. And the planning for the Annual usually takes place in May. The reason for this delay is that the Civil side of the Annual usually decides on topics at the Civil Seminar in May. Criminal usually has theirs done so the wait is on us. It takes a few weeks to check speakers and by June the Annual makes the website.

With regard to Erik's comment that South Padre is a horrible venue, well maybe for break outs but Big Grin SPID has other virtues! (Scott is that correct usage of the word, punctuation?)

It appears that you have attended previous seminars since you referred to Kerrville, a stop only a true devotee of civil seminars remembers. So when you return to the fold and attend a TDCAA seminar either Scott B or I will furnish you a complimentary cold drink of your choosing.

Finally, why did it take Ray so long to hop in on this tempest. I am a long time viewer of the World Cup and have been following the games closely. Even now with the final over it appears that Italy and France may declare war on each other.

P. S. Scott B. the witness protection program is not a safe enough place for you to hide regarding certain previous planning meetings. I have friends in high places. Wink

RR
July 12, 2006, 11:02
Lisa Peterson
It's sort of like using the old "supercalifragalisticexpialidocious" (sp?) from Mary Poppins - - the line in the song says to be careful how you use it, and the little man say "one day I said it to me girl, and now me girl's me wife" - she whacks him with her purse and he continues "and a lovely thing she is, too"

To paraphrase - one day I asked for help with roads, and now the roads are my life! As you work with CPS cases, you may find yourself doing papers and talks. I promise, it doesn't hurt! Big Grin

Kidding aside, I sat in on part of the CPS tract at the Dawson Juvenile Seminar in February, and it was well done. THere are some areas, such as juvenile, that are lightly skimmed by TDCAA and hit pretty hard by the State Bar and its sections. GOod as Eric, Shannon & company are, they aren't Sherwin Williams! (covering the world with tomatoe juice - - or is it paint?) Smile
July 17, 2006, 12:49
Sara
I never attended a civil law seminar because the TDCAA has not included anything regarding CPS issues in the 3 day annual seminar. Are you planning to include one this year?