TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Pencil Pushers Unite!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pencil Pushers Unite! Login/Join 
posted
I notice that there is a posting on the criminal side of the TDCAA fora which comprises the musings of a number of our prosecutorial colleagues on the role of the prosecuting attorney in life, society and philosophy. It's very ethereal. But I digress.

A notable theme in the posting is the consensus that, while prosecution may be a difficult, thankless task, it may be seen as worthy based on the underlying accomplishment of societal needs and demands. This, many of the posting parties contend, elevates prosecution over civil practice, since some see that civil practice isn't really about "doing justice." So I put it to you, my brighter and more eloquent colleagues -- is our role as government civil practitioners a waste of societal resources and time? (Notable, perhaps, are the similarly grinding duties of litigating CPS and protective order cases, as an offhand example.)

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The folks in Criminal prosecution always believe their press clippings and make closing arguments in user forums, in courtrooms and probably at the Walmart when they are trying to return a rake without a receipt. So I don't spend a lot of time worrying about their opinions about civil lawyers. Most of them have acquired their knowledge of the civil practice from L A Law. However, when one of these criminal folks is sued by someone he prosecuted they usually develop a great appreciation for prosecutorial immunity, which most common folk find less than just. Now before the criminal folks respond if any of them read this forum, I want it known that I prosecuted crooks for six years so I know how great they are as people.

Posts: 267 | Location: Mansfield, Texas | Registered: August 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you telling me that civil practice is NOT like L.A. Law? I can't tell you how disillusioned that leaves me. Maybe I can go to night school and learn to be something useful ... like a bartender.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You thought none of us ever looked over here, didn't you?

I think any negativity towards civil law in the other thread is more aimed at lawyers in private practice rather than our fellow prosecutors practicing civil law. In fact, I suspect some of those who posted probably wear both civil and criminal hats.

Prosecutors engaged solely (or substantially) in the practice of civil law are probably alot like combat engineers. Yeah, they are trained to shoot bad guys, too, but they have to do it while building bridges and blowing up minefields. smile

I even know a few white hats that don't have badges. None of them are circling around Enron right now.

[This message was edited by John Rolater on 12-05-02 at .]

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post