TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Forfeiture With Defendant in Federal Custody
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forfeiture With Defendant in Federal Custody Login/Join 
posted
I have a case where the Defendant was arrested for a narcotics delivery charge. His motorcycle was seized and a forfeiture action was filed. Defendant hired an attorney. The defense attorney and I had a deal to wrap up the criminal case and the civil case.

Before the plea to the criminal charge and agreed judgment, Defendant was picked up on a conspiracy to distribute charge by the feds. The defense attorney withdrew, and Defendant was appointed a new criminal attorney. Of course, the appointed criminal attorney can't represent Defendant for the forfeiture action.

I'm trying to wrap up the forfeiture case, but am being told the feds won't allow Defendant to come to State court for a civil matter.

Does anyone know if I can get Defendant into State court for the civil matter? What options do I have? Am I forced to nonsuit?

Thanks.

Posts: 8 | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do a motion for summary judgment.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Sixth Amendment right to personally confront witnesses pertains to a defendant's rights in all criminal prosecutions and does not pertain to a civil proceeding in forfeiture. $13,720 v. State of Texas, 2004 Tex. App. LEXIS 9029. We resolve these types of cases all the time and never bring the criminal defendants into court.

Posts: 188 | Location: Lubbock, Texas USA | Registered: October 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post