TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Notice of non-suit in a bond forfeiture case
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Notice of non-suit in a bond forfeiture case Login/Join 
posted
I don't beleive the petitioner/State can non-suit a defendant-surety in a bond forfeiture case. Besides my instinct, is there some case or statutory law substantiating my position. Help if you can, thanks.

Posts: 2 | Location: Victoria, TX, USA | Registered: May 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't agree. I've always looked as a bond forfeiture case as any other civil lawsuit, and if we file a motion to dismiss (I like that word better than non-suit), then the judge dismisses it. But we don't do it just for the heck of it.

Even if we have decided that the surety may have had someone back in custody before we file our nisi, if they haven't told us that, at the very least we will be having them pay court costs.

Why do you ask?

Posts: 172 | Location: Georgetown, Texas, USA | Registered: June 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post