TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    County owned land
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

County owned land Login/Join 
posted
The small county I represent provides a water system to some of its residents. The water is purchased from a landowner in another county and piped in pursuant to a long-term contract. The landowner may be interested in selling our county the land (and wells of course)which would consist of a sizeable chunk of good farmland. Can any of you gurus think of any reason we can't do this? The farmland could be leased out to a farmer and produce some income for the county. What requirements/issues do you see when leasing the land out? This would be a really great thing for our county as many of our people rely on this landowner, and his heirs, for water.

Posts: 89 | Location: Snyder, Texas | Registered: November 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you have no problem purchasing - be certain to check the statutes and follow exactly. Leasing is a little tougher. Last time I looked, the AG had some conflicting opinions on that. I think you will end up with auctioning the lease, or at least making it competitive. Check it well...

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post