TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Employee quarterly reviews
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Employee quarterly reviews Login/Join 
posted
I want to start a formal review of everyone in my small office so we can discuss the sharing of responsibilty. Does anyone have a form that they have found helpful? I need something for attorneys and staff so everyone gets an idea of what is working and what isn't. I also think it needs to include me as I am actively trying cases. Scott Brumley you seem to have some expertise. Please help.I guess this is the right forum to use for this question. I haven't had to fire but one person and it was awful when she left so I really want some way to give everyone the feed back they need. Thanks

Posts: 334 | Location: Beeville, Texas., USA | Registered: September 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Duh dum. Duh dum. Dum dum dum dum dum dum dum .... Uh oh. You've ventured out past the breakers into the unsettling waters of the civil forum.

We are actually in the process of revamping our periodic review forms. As soon as I get them in some working order, I'll be glad to send a sampling of them to you. E-mail me (my info is in my profile) and I'll send them to you by reply.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Based upon past experience, I would say that quarterly is too often. In Dallas, we started doing it twice a year and that was a beating on everyone. They later switched to annual reviews. In Collin, we have an annual review with an interim review, plus consultations about the form. The form we use here is shorter than the Dallas form and tailored to each employee. The system here works better, but it is still a beating.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We use the same timetable as John's county. We also recognize evals as a beating, but they're a more tolerable beating than the one that may be taken in court when you can't document performance deficiency as the legitimate reason for termination, as opposed to a reason prohibited by Title VII/ADA/ADEA/FMLA/Ch. 21, Labor Code/workers comp., etc. That isn't the only reason you do evaluations, but it's an important reason to do them.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ideally, performance evaluations should help employees and employers when properly done. Attempting to achieve the ideal is a beating. It is a beating even though I have an entirely exceeds expectations crew that treat me far better than I rate, good training in the system we use, and a fairly reliable technology to use. I never thought the road to Utopia would be so hard.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probationary employees get a review quarterly. Once the employee is off probation, he or she is reviewed annually.

Janette A

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Martha, next month when I see you I am going to formally review your performance to see if it is up to snuff with "our" policy and procedure. And you know who I refer to when I say "our"! You are once again being too anal. Quit that! Next month it is mas tequila!!

Posts: 170 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post