TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Tazer policies
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tazer policies Login/Join 
posted
I know have a constable office with tazers. They have asked me to help them with their policy. Does anyone have a policy they would share with me? My fax is (979)277-6215 if anyone would fax me a copy or e-mail me at jrenken@wacounty.com.

Julie Renken

Posts: 47 | Location: Brenham, Texas | Registered: January 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At least your constable wants a policy. And you lurkers thought I couldn't say anything nice about constables. Razz

Our sheriff's office has a pretty comprehensive Taser policy. If I can find my copy, I'll try to get it to you.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try not to taser yourself or your employees.
Roll Eyes

Posts: 267 | Location: Mansfield, Texas | Registered: August 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My westlaw is down, so I'm cheating with you all today. Another charging question--does anyone know of any cases where a tazer was discussed as a deadly weapon? Wife zaps fleeing husband in stomach and was then tackled by brother in law until police arrived. I'm thinking if a BB gun can be dw, surely a tazer could, but what part of the body could one be tazed on for a death, or is it more about length or number of jolts?

I'm also thinking that officers do not use tasers as last resort deadly force like their guns, in fact last I heard it was preferred over clubs, so I think that hurts the deadly weapon issue and requires more evidence of manner of use?

Posts: 526 | Location: Del Rio, Texas | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 267 | Location: Mansfield, Texas | Registered: August 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am also looking for a policy if anyone can e-mail to me that would be great.

Posts: 45 | Location: Waxahachie, TX | Registered: November 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you will find this report to be very useful.
Taser Use Guidelines

Posts: 151 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good info, thanks.

I wonder if there is a difference between the ones that shoot barbs and the ones that you hold while you make contact with the person? Are they both called tasers? Same safety guidelines, etc.?

Posts: 526 | Location: Del Rio, Texas | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The one that shoots the darts is a Tazer. The kind you hold is called a stun gun.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tasers have two methods of operation. The "probe mode" is the most common. It involves the deploying of darts. The second method is called the “stun mode”. It allows the officer to deliver a charge directly to the person without deploying the darts.

I would suggest that you visit the Taser web site to learn more.

Posts: 151 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool website. Did not know about those shotgun rounds or the backup stun gun mode.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post