TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Deceased official
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deceased official Login/Join 
posted
This is my day for offbeat civil queries. Constable is deceased; term roughly half completed. Are the commissioners REQUIRED to fill the office or may they wait through the term? I'm not seeing a requirement in my quick run through the books...

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lisa
Going from memory, I had a similar situation years ago where a constable ran and was elected on the platform he would resign if elected, therefore, leaving the office vacant....he won and resigned and (best I remember) I could not find a requirement that the vacancy be filled....no one ever approached the Court asking to fill the position so it remained vacant....That was several years ago, so take that with a grain of salt.

Posts: 568 | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The wording of the statute is "may". There is no time limit on when they must do so, so it may very well be that they don't do so until quite a while later. LGC 87.041

If there was a chief (or only) deputy, that person carries out the duties pursuant to the applicatble Gov't Code provisions, until the appointment or election and qualfication of a new constable. That is true even if it is a long time...Gov't Code 601.002

Posts: 341 | Location: Tarrant County, Texas | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks! No deputy...or anyone else...and the elected had been ill nearly a year undergoing treatment in another part of the state....

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have a look at AG Op. No. JC-140 (1999). Spoiler alert: They don't have to fill the vacancy.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you!!

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney