TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Wa'tcha Gonna Do? (Inmate Woes)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wa'tcha Gonna Do? (Inmate Woes) Login/Join 
posted
Female inmate 8 1/2 months pregnant (in for felony theft)...

Mentally ill inmate does $1,500 worth of damage to our "padded cell" in a psychotic episode (in for agg asslt w/ dead weapon)...

Unhealthy inmate has two seizures in our jail one requiring hospitalization (he's in on agg asslt)...

And the grand finale: MHMR patient who killed his wife with a meat packing knife attempts suicide last night and MHMR says he shouldn't be put in our "all view cell" (the cell we put our suicides in has plexi-glass between the cell and the guard station so they are in full view 100% of the time) or in any location where he will be "agitated"

All of the above are "competent" to stand trial but in a rural community they are stressing our sheriff out (rightfully so)...

WHAT WOULD YOU SUGGEST?
Confused

Posts: 56 | Location: Plainview, Texas | Registered: September 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Plead the pregnant woman to something she'll take. Or consider a PR bond. In any event, I would advise careful consideration of getting her out of your jail as quickly as possible (unless she stole from one of your boss's biggest campaign contributors). Otherwise, your county will get a first-hand taste of the joys, and -- more importantly -- the costs, of a newborn. It will probably cost as much (or maybe more) than the underlying prosecution. On the other hand, if your commissioners are rock solid on being tough on crime (meaning they're willing to pay all the associated costs), then don't sweat it. But do make sure the inmate gets at least the same prenatal care as may be offered to any patient of your district/county/indigent clinic.

Fix the padded cell and move on. That's what it's for. It's kind of like patrol cars. They get banged up and worn out by the very nature of their use. I'm guessing you probably won't be able to get much restitution out of your criminally mischievous inmate.

As to the inmate with seizure disorder, just make sure he gets his medications and check with the hospital to make sure there are no additional medical steps that MUST be taken to address his serious medical condition. While perhaps dramatic, his case is relatively garden variety.

As to the suicidal inmate, confab with MHMR on what exactly they propose for monitoring of him. Explain TCJS requirements regarding suicidal inmates, and make clear that federal courts generally frown on allowing an inmate who is known to be suicidal to be hidden from at least very frequent view. Be sure to share with them that, if they stick to their guns, you (or Charlotte) WILL be subpoenaing everyone at MHMR who tells you that the inmate must not be placed in the constant observation cell when the lawsuit comes in after the inmate slinks off into a secluded cell and commits suicide. Otherwise, offer to turn the inmate over to their custody so long as he's suicidal. Of course, they won't take him because he has a pending felony charge against him. Then you may gently remind them to offer constructive suggestions or shut the @#$*&! up.

Or you could ask someone who knows what they're talking about. Big Grin

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that Potter County has plenty of experience with such problems and welcomes the opportunity to set examples for others, so rent some spare cells there....... Big Grin

Posts: 74 | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of all the things I learned in Potter County I missed the class on making folks adhere to your advice...surely when I tell folks that I got some props from the brightest legal minds around it will help...my hopes aren't that high but one can never stop reaching!

Posts: 56 | Location: Plainview, Texas | Registered: September 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We offer a class on paying attention to your lawyer's advice regularly, but we never have enough people register for it to make.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are avoiding several of these problems by being "consistently" over our numbers in the jail. Since our contract with the neighboring county for housing doesn't require that we send only the healthy, best and brightest, the three described would be in the first load hauled east!

Seriously - follow Scott's advice and document every thing; every conversation a jailer has with them, every request for anything and when handled. We recently got a SJ from Judge Cummings on a really bad one of these. The three ring binders of notes from the jail saved us.

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most importantly - when they are out of your jail, please don't let them migrate north.

Posts: 145 | Location: Bryan/College Station | Registered: April 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post