TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Tow policy for no DL/insurance
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tow policy for no DL/insurance Login/Join 
posted
I have a constable who is interested in instituting an automatic towing policy for all drivers cited for no DL or insurance. I have seen cities adopt ordinances for these types of practices, which leads me to believe that it's a little more complicated for counties. I've found Trans. Code 601.261 that addresses impoundment for second or subsequent convictions but nothing that would allow a constable to automatically tow the vehicle upon a ticket. Any thoughts?

Posts: 16 | Location: Waller County | Registered: March 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Knowing your research skills to be top flight, my only observation (without the benefit of research) would be the basic tenet of county government law: If authority isn't provided to a county in the constitution or statutes, or isn't impliedly necessary to carry out an explicitly-stated duty, the county lacks such authority.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post