TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Shucking the stogies...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shucking the stogies... Login/Join 
posted
Our courthouse has been smoke free by tradition for several years - with the exception of the lobby and the jail. Since the lobby has become a favorite "parking spot" for loiterers (and smokers) the Commissioners are wanting to include it in the smoke free area, and put some teeth into the decision.

I'm up to my eyeteeth in 'gators at the moment - anyone have a quick and dirty ordinance with authorities that I can copy? It would be deeply appreciated - - -

Thanks,
lisa

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My (now former) County Judge just posted signs on her own and then yelled at anyone she caught smoking. It worked.

Posts: 86 | Location: Floresville, TX USA | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hansford County is smoke free everywhere; including princinct barns!!!!!!!!Smoke-free also means no smoking in county motor vehicles including road graders, dozers and so forth. Pretty tough. Having lost my Mother to lung cancer I don't mind.

I'll get the resolution next time I am at the court house and figure out how to get it scanned into text.
Our smokers are relegated to two smoking areas OUTSIDE of the court house where there are smokeless ashtray things and a couple of chairs. Given Panhandle winter weather there were a few days that they just went on out to their personal autos and lite up out there. John

Posts: 59 | Location: Spearman, TX, Hansford | Registered: March 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hansford County has a resolution that reads:

Motion to enforce a smoke free courthouse was made by Commissioner___, second from Commissioner__. There will be temporary locations for smoking ouside the ease entrace of the Coiurt house and teh employee parking lot.
4 to 0 was the vote.

Posts: 59 | Location: Spearman, TX, Hansford | Registered: March 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How in the world did 4 commissioners in a rural county have the guts to pass that resolution? Good on them!

Posts: 244 | Registered: November 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it would seem simple to me as banning smoking is one thing, but banning a good chaw is another Big Grin

Posts: 74 | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post