TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    More than one bond on a criminal case
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More than one bond on a criminal case Login/Join 
posted
Can there be more than 2-3 active bonds on a criminal case? I was under the impression that once another bond is picked up, this releases the first bondsmen from liability. Am I wrong? Or are all the bondsmen liable till the criminal case is resolved? Pls advise. thanks

Posts: 24 | Location: Pecos County | Registered: April 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't find anywhere indicating that the defendant being released on a new bond is a defense to forfeiture (although half the bondsmen include it in their answers). If the bond has been forfeited and the forfeiture is still pending, the bondsman will still be liable. If the defendant has been taken into custody due to a surrender, that explicitly discharges liability under Chapter 17. If you're talking about a re-arrest due to an insufficient bond, I don't see anything one way or the other, but it would seem to be consistent with the surrender situation that the bondsman is off the hook if the defendant is back in custody. My read is that only one bondsman at a time is liable, unless there is a pending forfeiture against one of them.

Posts: 20 | Location: Paris | Registered: May 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post