TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Retiring Peace Officers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Retiring Peace Officers Login/Join 
posted
I have been asked by my County Auditor if she can allow the Sheriff's Office to award a retiring deputy of 30 years his firearm. I have found nothing that allows that. However, I do know that the AG has ruled in the past that Commissioners can pass resolutions awarding certain items to retirees stating boosting employee morale as a public purpose or staing that a service pin , etc. is part of the compensation package. Any thoughts on this?

Posts: 47 | Location: Brenham, Texas | Registered: January 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Clarification-the Sheriff wants to purchase it and give to the deputy.

Posts: 47 | Location: Brenham, Texas | Registered: January 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a retiring Tax Assessor / Collector who REALLY wanted her typewriter - and we did the same thing. The Commissioners went to the auction web site and determined what they could sell it for, then paid that amount and gave it to her.

While I couldn't find express permission - it seemed to me that the sprirt of the law was met, so I agreed to it...

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Texas Government Code section 411.020 specifically permits one of our commissioned officers to purchase a firearm issued to the officer if the firearm is not a prohibited weapon and if the firearm is retired for replacement purposes. It is very common for co-workers of retiring officers to purchase the officer's weapon and present it to him or her as a retirement gift. By any chance is there a similar provision in the Local Government Code or Chapter 615, Government Code?

Janette A

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post