TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Self insuring in lieu of bonds for elected officials
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Self insuring in lieu of bonds for elected officials Login/Join 
posted
Section 88.008 of the Local Government Code allows a Commissioners Court to self-insure in lieu of the requirements that certain county officers and employees execute a bond as a condition of office or employment. A few statutes also give this option with regard to specific officials, such as the County Clerk and District Clerk.

Our county already pays a lot of money for a whole lot of insurance, so it seems like paying for bonds is simply overkill. Self-insuring seems like a good idea, but maybe I am missing something, or maybe I am missing a whole lot of somethings.

Are any other counties self-insuring in the place of bonds?

Posts: 63 | Location: Midland, TX | Registered: September 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Tarrant County, this past year our commissioners court adopted a policy and forms to self-insure most of our elected officials and other bonded officials. This January 1 most of our returning officials are now self-insured by the county. First termers aren't self-insured; that way the court knows that they are bondable. And the really big bonds are still done as traditional bonds or one of the other alternatives. But all those others who can be self-insured by the county are being replaced over time by self insurance under the various statutes. Let me know if you want copies of the policy, forms, commissioners court order. I think this is a great improvement for our taxpayers and resources over all those little bonds that, really, don't protect the public and are a needless expense.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: A. Diamond,

Posts: 341 | Location: Tarrant County, Texas | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ann. I am always happy to plagiarize Tarrant County's hard work, so I would appreciate anything you can send me. I will send you an email.

Posts: 63 | Location: Midland, TX | Registered: September 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post