TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Great food truck race
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Great food truck race Login/Join 
posted
With the increase in population, comes questions of first impression for a rural county....
All parks in the county, including those located wholly within the city limits, are county-owned....
We have requests from mobile food tuck vendors to sell their wares in the county parking lots located in the park.
The county does not have any policies, but the question has arisen, Can the county regulate for-profit businesses conducting business, rent free, on county property? (local govt code 331?)TX Atty Gen No.DM-364 1995
The fear is if they are not regulated the parking lots will be filled with rug salesmen, puppy pushers and food trucks.
Has anyone else dealt with a similar matter?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mhartman,

Posts: 568 | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure I have a good answer, but will take a stab at it. The county may regulate use of its property, such as the courthouse public areas and lawns -- would this be any different? A for profit vendor is using a county asset to aid him in making money, and I think you can prohibit that.

My thought would be a regulation which would allow a non-profit which has reserved the park (i.e. Relay for Life) to sell things, with the requirement that any food vendor also be permitted through the HEalth Department. Just my thought...

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post