TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Expert Witnesses    Vince Gonzales
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vince Gonzales Login/Join

posted
He is being used as a "mitigation expert" in a capital writ (not to present info on conditions in TDCJ re future dangerousness). Anyone have any info on him -- CV/resume, papers, transcripts, etc?

Posts: 5 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: September 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He was hired by the defense on a retrial of the punishment phase of a death penalty case here. He was originally hired as an investigator for the defense, but was also listed as a defense expert. This was State vs. Gustavo Garcia, retried in March 2001. The defense ended up calling Dr. Walter Quijano as their mitigation expert. Gonzales (I believe) owns the rights to a video tape of the Michaels Unit, which was admitted for Dr. Quijano to testify to as a prototype of TDCJ and that, if given a life sentence, that is the ad seg unit he would possibly be sentenced to and that he would be watched over and not allowed to commit any future acts of violence, blah, blah, blah. Gonzales did the background on the defendant, such as abuse, family history, etc. All their efforts were futile, however, since we had Royce Smithey to testify for the State and the fact that Garcia had attempted to escape Death Row while waiting for this trial. At the time, Gonzales was living in Lubbock. One of the guys in the Lubbock County DA's Office may know some background on him. Try contacting Todd Smith, the Chief Investigator in Lubbock County. Good luck.....

Posts: 62 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info!

Posts: 5 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: September 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The defense used him in two of my capital cases. I don't think I have a CV for him, but I also don't think he testifies. So far, he has been used as more of a glorified "mitigation" expert in my cases. He did all the background work on the defendant for the punishment phase but did not testify.

Posts: 283 | Location: Montague, Texas, USA | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post