TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Expert Witnesses    Susan Robbins -Agg. Sex Child Victim
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Susan Robbins -Agg. Sex Child Victim Login/Join

posted
Anyone ever had her testify in one of your cases.
I googled her and got lots of info. Just wondering what she is apt to say on the stand.

Susan Robbins
Houston, Texas

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This individual testified in a case in our office 2 years ago. Our team really took a hit from her testimony on false allegations of sexual abuse and the reliability of child interviews and the effectivness of an uncoerced "outcry"
She routinely trains CPS interviewers and because of her education and background, she is very convincing to juries. Ultimately, we lost our case because of her testimony and I would not want to come across her again.

Posts: 1 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might want to talk to the lady who heads up the child advocacy center in Houston. I think her name is Dr. Welch. She presented at a TDCAA Sexual Assault of Children conference in San Antonio a few years ago. I was very impressed with her presentation. I'm at home so I do not have her info. Anyways, she'll probably know your expert, plus, she may be a good state's expert to counter this woman's testimony. Your child advocacy center interviewer may also be a good witness to counter on this issue.

I normally educate a panel (this was given to me by a much more senior prosecutor) by asking how many of them know a child who's been sexually abused. You will not believe the hands. Then ask how many of them told right away-if delayed outcry is an issue.

I also voir dire on whether people are willing to believe a child.

I think when so many people raise their hands who know someone who's been sexually abused in voir dire, it gets them thinking our way & helps deflect a little of the effect of this expert's testimony.

Posts: 50 | Location: Anderson, Texas | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also check with Richard Alpert in Ft. Worth D.A.'s office. He's an expert witness guru, he may have info.

Posts: 50 | Location: Anderson, Texas | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post