TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Expert Witnesses    Walden Platt & Assoc.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walden Platt & Assoc. Login/Join

posted
Does anyone know about these experts who critique sfst's? RE: Officer performance- They are located in Bryan.

Posts: 131 | Location: Hondo, Texas | Registered: November 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lance Platt is a former College Station police officer that now carries his commission with one of the Constables in Brazos County. He is very knowledgeable on the SFST but he does not testify that well (in my opinion). I don't think that the jury much cared for him (14 minute guilty). On the cross that I did of him I got him to say that he would have arrested the defendant for DWI as well. If you need a copy of the cross send me your mailing address and I will get it in the mail ASAP.

Posts: 37 | Location: Tyler, Texas | Registered: October 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
His bio/C.Vitae is available thru David Higginson, ACA, at the Brazos County Attorneys, 979-361-4300. Wink Wink Wink Wink

Posts: 22 | Registered: August 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard is right, David Higginson does have that information.

And a big thanks to David for providing us with some useful information on very short notice. Prosecutors -like David- willing to go out of their way to help make this job a little easier and rewarding. Wink

Posts: 158 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see that you were gathering some info on Walden and Platt last fall. I have two upcoming trials where these guys may testify. I have their CVs...anything else important I should know about??

Posts: 526 | Location: Del Rio, Texas | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had Platt testify before. He was not certified in SFSTs until he had been an officer for 2-3 years. He said that unless the tests are done and done exactly in accordance with the guidelines (ignoring the word "about" that is scattered through the testing explanations) there is no way to rely on them. So I asked if all his arrests before certification were no good. He denied that of course, but then was hard pressed to explain why the jury should ignore the officer's opinion, even if the tests were not done perfectly.

Posts: 70 | Location: Lockhart, Texas | Registered: October 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had Platt testify before. He was not certified in SFSTs until he had been an officer for 2-3 years. He said that unless the tests are done and done exactly in accordance with the guidelines (ignoring the word "about" that is scattered through the testing explanations) there is no way to rely on them. So I asked if all his arrests before certification were no good. He denied that of course, but then was hard pressed to explain why the jury should ignore the officer's opinion, even if the tests were not done perfectly.

Posts: 70 | Location: Lockhart, Texas | Registered: October 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
web page

Here is the link to Walden and Platt's web page. Also you can get a copy of Platt's Doctoral dissertation here:

web page

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post