TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Expert Witnesses    Info on "Forensic Expert" Richard N. Ernest
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Info on "Forensic Expert" Richard N. Ernest Login/Join

posted
I am looking for info on Richard N. Ernest, who has been listed as a defense expert in an upcoming agg. assault trial. Defendant shot 3 unarmed men and is claiming self-defense. Has to put the victims close to him. SWIFS has analyzed the clothing worn by victims and only found a grease ring on one set of clothing. Now defense counsel wants the clothing examined by Ernest. I have seen his web page at hgexperts.com. Any info appreciated. You can reach me at defriend@glade.net or 254-729-3814

Posts: 35 | Location: Groesbeck, TX | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe he is the former firearms examiner for either the Fort Worth PD crime lab or the Tarrant County ME's office. Check with Greg Miller at the Tarrant County DA (817.884.1400)....he is great on experts in general and will know all about this one.

Posts: 723 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ernest did testify in our trial in December 03. The defendant shot 3 unarmed victims and claimed self-defense. SW Institute of Forensic Science "SWIFS" did our gunpowder residue testing and found little. Ernest conducted testing for defendant and of course found it where SWIFS did not. Interestingly, most of Ernest's came from a baseball cap worn by a victim which was not tested by SWIFS because it did not have a bullet hole in it. Long story short, we got 2 convictions, one acquital on self-defense. I am getting Ernest's direct and cross transcribed (and the DAUBERT hearing)and will make it available to TDCAA and anyone who wants it. (Defendant is not appealing). SWIFS even sent some folks down to hear him testify as I suppose they run up against him from time to time. Any questions, call or email me.

Posts: 35 | Location: Groesbeck, TX | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post