TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Other    community involvement?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

community involvement? Login/Join 
posted
Hey y'all. I'm just wondering if anybody knows of any offices that get involved in the community in creative ways. I just read about Jim Crouch, the Denton County judge who conducts mock trials at elementary schools. What other cool projects like that are out there? I'd love to know �

Posts: 41 | Location: Austin, TX USA | Registered: January 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have had attorneys and our elected D.A. involved as Board Members and Presidents of the Smith County Peace Officer's Association, Tyler Teen Court and the Boys and Girls Club. Our attorneys regularly "judge" for Teen Court and have also gotten involved in helping coach High School Mock Trial teams.

Posts: 59 | Location: Tyler, Texas | Registered: May 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I coach a basketball team for 7-8 year old kids. That way I get to see who the criminals are before they become adults. Is this what you meant, Sarah?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was a frequent speaker at school when the D.A.R.E. program was active. Also, the Sheriff and I will take samples of various contraband to the school administration and teachers for identification instruction. Also go to safety meetings at various businesses to speak on the effects of dwi and alcohol offenses and drivers licenses etc. especially those that have commercial drivers. Good opportunity to educate potential jurors on the reliablity of the breath test, HGN, etc.
Hope this helps.
Mike Hartman
Scurry County Attorney

Posts: 568 | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post