TDCAA Community
military service

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/457098965/m/5143075796

February 07, 2003, 11:43
Sarah Wolf
military service
I've heard of a few folks either joining the military or being called up to serve. If there's anybody in your office who's shipping out, please let me know. I'd like to run a list of these peeps in the next Prosecutor.

Much thanks.
February 07, 2003, 13:09
Shannon Edmonds
Uh, for those of you who aren't as "hip" as Sarah, our new Communications Director, I thought I'd interpret:

"peeps" = people.

Carry on.
February 07, 2003, 14:33
Sarah Wolf
Eep! Yeah, sorry about "peeps." Sometimes I'll need a translator so y'all understand my Iowa-speak. (It'll be a while before I talk totally Texan. But I'm tryin'.)
February 10, 2003, 09:06
Brad Clark
To make yourself understood north of Missouri and south of Minnesota, use lots of "yeah, sure" and "you guys" in your speech. (Iowa class of '88 and '92).
February 10, 2003, 11:42
Ray
Why would I ever want to make myself understood north of Missouri and south of Minnesota? I think peeps is probably a young thing too. I hear my born in Texas kids use the phrase.
February 10, 2003, 17:54
JB
Back in my day, a peeper was not a good thing.
February 11, 2003, 08:46
Ken Sparks
Okay, Shannon, now how about some assistance on the word "eep"?
February 11, 2003, 08:55
Mark Edwards
Bill Sowder, the elected DA from Lubbock, has been called up for active duty. He could be gone for up to 1 year. Another attorney from that office has also been called up, but I do not know his name.
February 11, 2003, 09:21
Karen Betancourt
Rob Moore, an assistant district attorney in our office at the Camreon County District Attorney's Office in Brownsville just got back from Ft. Lee, Virginia from the Officer Basic Course as he is a Judge Advocate in the United States Army Reserves. So far no word as to if and when he will see active duty.
February 11, 2003, 09:31
Shannon Edmonds
Doug O'Connell w/ the Travis Co. DA's office just returned from a year's stint overseas w/ the Army Reserves.

As for "eep," I cannot translate. Come to think of it, I hear a lot of odd noises coming from Sarah's office down the hall that I can't decipher ...
February 11, 2003, 11:19
Brad Clark
quote:
Originally posted by Ray:
Why would I ever want to make myself understood north of Missouri and south of Minnesota? I think peeps is probably a young thing too. I hear my born in Texas kids use the phrase.

You might need to stop for gas, or something.
February 11, 2003, 16:41
Ray
Please self-service doesn't exist up there. I don't want to go then.
February 12, 2003, 09:17
APorter
Iowa's not too bad a place. Pella, Iowa, has a beautiful tulip festival every spring. Newton, Iowa, (hometown to the Maytag Corp. and where I prosecuted in 1998 before returning to my senses and coming back to Texas) has a neat old courthouse and a great community. Iowa also has some of the best public schools in the country.

But even with all that, it still ain't Texas - where anything within a 2 hour drive is "right down the road" and you can find good BEEF bar-b-q.
February 19, 2003, 11:56
jws
I just used the word "hornswoggled" in a closing argument. Do they say that in Iowa, Sarah?
March 28, 2003, 12:15
Brad Clark
I am in Kuwait, waiting to go to Baghdad, as a staff member of the Office of Reconstruction and Humanitarian Assistance. I'm an Army JAG and Civil Affairs officer. Will be here, according to orders, 365 days to two years. Lots of sand here, but everyone seems very friendly.

(Alumi member, formerly with the Brazos County DA's, and before that CA's offices)
March 31, 2003, 09:49
Ed Spillane
Not only is Brad Clark serving the country in Kuwait right now but he's also from Iowa so he can speak Iowa-speak and Texan.
April 04, 2003, 14:19
Cynthia Morales
John Hubert from our Kleberg County Office (105th Judicial District) in Kingsville is being deployed to the Phillipines from April 23-May 11.
April 04, 2003, 18:36
Shannon Edmonds
I spoke too soon on my buddy Doug O'Connell (Travis Co. ADA & Special Asst. USA) - he got called up (again) and is heading back to Northern Iraq, so add him to the list, Sarah.

Or should I say, "Add him to the list, eh?"
April 08, 2003, 14:48
Scott Brumley
One of our assistants, Wade Overstreet, is in Kuwait with a civil affairs division attached to the 101st Airborne ("Screaming Eagles").
July 25, 2003, 10:52
<Bob Cole>
I was activated to the Air Force JAG for about 18 months. I worked in Wood County for Mark Taylor and now work for Joe Black in Harrison County.