Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Request for Advice Login/Join 
posted
Hello all,

I've read this forum enough to realize there is a community of helpful and knowledgeable posters.

To that end I'd like to ask for a bit of advice. I've recently graduated from law school and am about to finish my first year at a large law firm doing commercial work.

While I am happy to have a job in this economy I regret not having broadened my job search beyond the large firms that recruit on campus.

What is the best way to go about obtaining an attorney position in the district or county attorney's office?

What should I expect/be prepared for and what is the reality of this sort of law practice?

I am considering this change for a variety of personal reasons, but essentially, I want to feel like I'm doing something that matters. I've seen enough tragedy in my life to know that what y'all do matters in a way that helping large companies get richer really doesn't.

In any case I'd be grateful for any insight or advice you feel willing to share.

Posts: 79 | Location: Williamson County | Registered: August 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is impossibe to answer your questions without knowing the size and location of the prosecutor's office where you would be applying. Contact one of the prosecutors in the jurisdiction where you will be seeking work and ask them these questions. I guarantee that your new job will be more exciting and enjoyable.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
You may have already noticed it, but if not, you can search our job bank for current openings throughout the state:

TDCAA Job Bank

You're also welcome to call me here at TDCAA (512-474-2436) -- we get more of those calls than you might guess ...

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want to chat about daily work and what to expect as a prosecutor, I'd be happy to field your questions. I've been doing it for a little more than 2 years now and would be happy to discuss 'life in a smaller office' with you.

(940) 668-5466: o

Click on my profile and send me an email if you'd like to talk after business hours; I'll email you my cell phone number.

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Philip,

I've sent you an email. Thanks for the offer to help.

John

Posts: 79 | Location: Williamson County | Registered: August 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post