TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Other    What are you reading?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you reading? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Ok, I just finished the last enchantment by Mary Stewart, book three of the "Arthur Trilogy". Well, towards the end of the book I realized the story could go on, so I got on line and it's not a trilogy it's FIVE books. It was only a trilogy til the 4th book was written. So on to "the Wicked Day" after I take a break for Twilight.

Query (that's what they would have said in King Arthur's time, I think). If you start a series of books and like it without realizing how many there are, do you feel compelled to read all of them?

Posts: 172 | Location: Georgetown, Texas, USA | Registered: June 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you like them, why would you not read them all?

Posts: 130 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've gotten sucked into SO many series that way... If I read one, like it, and realize there are more, then I'll generally read at least a few more of the rest until I stop liking it. (Or just get really, really tired of it, a la Wheel of Time!) But sometimes there's a book that's enjoyable enough to read, but I didn't like it enough to read more like it, if that makes any sense.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I decided to take a break from King Arthur (have to find the next book) and read Twilight over Thanksgiving. It's a really quick, easy read. Now I've started on the second of the series, New Moon. Almost done with it too, and will probably read books 3 and 4 because they go so quick.

Andrea and Lisa and J. Ansolaberee,
we can pick something else if you'd rather, than Twilight. I've never been in a book club, so don't know what to choose.

Posts: 172 | Location: Georgetown, Texas, USA | Registered: June 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't mind reading the Twilight series. I would like to compare them to the Charlaine Harris books (Southern Vampire series). Currently I am plowing through Gathering Storm, the first of the six books in Winston Churchill's WW II series for which he won the Nobel Prize in Literature.

Janette A

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Twilight's fine with me. I'll pick it up when I'm doing the remains of my Christmas shopping this week or next.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They might be harder to find than you think. I got the first one at our local bookstore because a friend told me I would like it. Decided not to get the second yet, in case I didn't want to read it. When I went back to get the second, there were no more of any of them, not even hardback versions of the newer ones!

Posts: 526 | Location: Del Rio, Texas | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Kindle book reader from Amazon (great product--holds up to 500 books with the addition of an SD card). I plan to download the books--they have all of the Twilight books available in Kindle format.

For hard copies, you might try online at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or Borders.

Janette A

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ended up ordering from Amazon, guess you can tell I liked the book.

I've never heard of Kindle, will have to check it out.

Posts: 526 | Location: Del Rio, Texas | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Kindle is not cheap--I gave it to myself as a Christmas/Birthday gift. But I don't have much room to store a lot of books in my home and the local library doesn't keep up with my rate of reading, so I find the Kindle works well for me-an entire small library on a package about 5x6 inches and a little under an inch at the thickest point. The screen is amazingly easy on the eyes and you can adjust the font size. You can also download audio books, newspapers, and magazine. It's great for traveling.

Janette A

posted Hide Post
So when should we get together at the annual to talk about Twilight? There's a slight possibility I may be in trial, but if not, any of the three days will work for me.

suzanne, you're invited too!

posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'm available any day also--subject to a trial setting that should not carry over that long.

posted Hide Post
Janette,

Having weathered Ike fairly well, but also having gone into friends' homes that did not do so well, I have been toying with the idea of going electronic. I've looked at the Kindle. I really like the idea of it.

But, how do you lend books to people? I mean, lets say I have a Kindle and you have a Kindle, can you lend me one of your books? Could it be put on a sim card and then read in another Kindle?

Part of a great book is sharing it. I'd be really sad if I couldnt share a book.

Posts: 286 | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry this reply is so delayed. I missed most of last week due to illness. You can transfer books purchased in Kindle format from Amazon between your Kindle and your Amazon account, but not directly from Kindle to Kindle. The Kindle does have a slot for an SD card which allows the user to double the storage capacity, and you can transfer books to the SD card and back. I am guessing you might be able to loan the book on the SD card to some with a Kindle, but I haven't tried it and have no idea if it works. Kindles are like I-Pods. They are registered to the account of the person who registers the reader.

Janette A

posted Hide Post
You guys are a bad influence. I picked up Twilight to read over Christmas break. Apparently I'm psychologically incapable of leaving a series unfinished, because I've already finished New Moon and Eclipse, and I'm halfway through Breaking Dawn. Thank goodness that's the last!

posted Hide Post
I'm mid way-through The Mission Song. A good read. Its' nearly time for me to start over his books again.

JAS

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't read the Twilight series but my 2 teenagers tell me "it fails". I have always like vampire stories, however, so if I can read it without my children finding out (I'm already a figure of ridicule because I was an "epic fail" at Rock Band drums), I will check it out. I am currently reading Richard North Patterson's "The Race" -- a political thriller --and finished Pattie Boyd Harrison's autobiography last week.

Posts: 74 | Location: Hempstead, TX USA | Registered: February 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Andrea, I did the same thing! I won't be at the training, however, so you all will have to share some deep insight on the forum when you get back.

posted Hide Post
LAS, I mocked Twilight a lot, but it's a good, engaging, light read. Nothing deep about it, but it's not quite the teenybopper annoying I expected. Wink

posted Hide Post
The Annual is next week. What day, what time, and where is our reading group going to meet. I presume we will meet during the lunch break--possibly Thursday?

Janette A