TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Other    Que Padre?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Que Padre? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
We're just glad we got to see ya, David, but sorry we didn't get to spend some quality time together.

The best, absolute best, Flatt and Scruggs song of all time is:

There's an empty hanger hanging
Hanging and banging
In the closet where
your love used to be

Or something like that. It's been about 13 years since I heard it, but a friend has it on album, if anyone still knows what an album is.

I did a quick google and couldn't find it anywhere.

Posts: 2 | Registered: September 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"There's An Empty Hanger In My Closet" came out on the Homer and Jethro album titled "Life Can Be Miserable" which appeared in 1958. That's the same record with "Oh Lomesome Me" and "I'll Go On A Diet Tomorrow."

Homer and Jethro were good, but they were no Flatt and Scruggs.
Exit Only

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the correct info on that song, AP. But how can you disparage the talent of Homer and Jethro, who gave us fine fine music such as "I'm my own grandpa"?

By the way, did you know Chet Atkins was the brother in law of Jethro and produced many of their songs?

Could your band do this hanger song next time?

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lonzo & Oscar, Greg. But that's all I'm good for is old information that won't get you much at the Salvation Army boarding house.

By the way, I don't have a band, but I have been allowed to stand in with a group of professional musicians that go by an unusual band name.

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't have a band? Don't have a band? You're only the heart and soul of the greatest power quintet-and-a-half (sorry, Greg, if we count our tamborine virtuoso as one-half, then I don't have to use the word "sex" in this family-oriented forum) of this decade, other than the superboybandgroup formed by virtue of the show "Making the Band" (or whatever the name of it was). Big Grin I hear they only decided to do that "Rock Star Supernova" thing because you had already committed to play in the greatest cover band since Milli Vanilli.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm still holding out for the Culture Club covers, after we learn that homer and jethro song.

Right back at both of you!

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
O-town was the name of that bad.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey David,

You were correct in your original assumption: We DID play Dueling Banjos, and I must admit, Scott The Rock Brumley did outstanding. But we also played Foggy Mountain Breakdown (and, Scott was again the flat-pickin' machine on that one). You see, we were doing Dueling Banjos, hoping the drink lines would filter away to nothing, so you could get up to the front much quicker. I thought that surely when the first strains of that number from the Deliverance movie started wafting toward the crowd, most everybody would grab the wives, kids, in-laws, husbands, grandchildren, Perfect Plea authors and other innocent victims and escape for their lives. Then, as my dear Racheal Ray would say, "How good is that..." you would have been in front of the line.

See? Hillbilly strategy.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Newell:
O-town was the name of that bad.

We were going to go the boy supergroup route, singing acapella selections from THE PERFECT PLEA with banjo accompaniment only, but the group decided that I don't have enough hair to be in a boy band. I'd look like that guy did in that skit on SNL sometime back.

Besides, I don't own any leather pants, and I think leather pants, white shoes and a matching white belt are a prerequisite to setting THE PERFECT PLEA to music.

exit only

posted Hide Post
I should have said: to quote my favorite east texas philosopher, "Exit Only".

posted Hide Post
I didn't stay at the party very long as I had to prepare for my presentation the next day. (I had a number of technical problems with it that forced me to re-build it on Wednesday.) That explains why I didn't hear foggy mountain breakdown, I probably wasn't there when you played it.

did you play "rock star" by nickelback? If not, I think it's a good pick.

[This message was edited by David Newell on 09-26-06 at .]

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We hadn't considered any Nickelback, but we'll be happy to do so. I thought about suggesting "Plush" by Stone Temple Pilots, with JB and Rob Kepple providing the Scott Weiland vocals, but I erroneously concluded that our "Dueling Banjos/Foggy Mountain Breakdown" bridge would empty the drink lines quicker. I'm a rank amateur at hillbilly strategy.

Perhaps it would be culturally aware to play something by The Chieftains, segue into something from "Riverdance" and conclude with a medley of Village People favorites.

In Through the Out Door Prohibited (in deference to the soon-to-be-copyrighted catchphrase of my learned colleague, bandmate and good friend from the Pineywoods).

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scott, I can see why you are such a gifted musician and singer, man. To think I could only think of two words, and you came up with that soliloquy. Bravo, sir. Bravo.

posted Hide Post
Exit only

posted Hide Post
panama by van halen.

posted Hide Post
I like the call. I had batted around the idea of "Ice Cream Man" in my head, but "Panama" works, too. "Drop Dead Legs" or "Black and Blue" (from the Hagar era) probably would be too offensive to some amongst the audience.

posted Hide Post
I have one word for this post:

ELGOATAROD

Google it and see what you find. Newell, we need a manager. You can be our Brian Epstein, our Peter Grant, without the immense profits, of course.

posted Hide Post
but, if you need a brian epstein (without the gay) i'll do my best to try an introduce you to an english music producer specializing primarily in classical recordings

"l.a. woman" by the doors.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Newell:
"l.a. woman" by the doors.

Another fine selection. Also, how about suggesting some rap songs, since you are more knowledgeable of that genre.

I like "Today was a good day" by Ice Cube. Also, Mama said to knock you out? or That's how I roll? Who sang these, David?

And if you wanna sing, just pick some songs, rap or otherwise.

posted Hide Post
mama said knock you out was by l.l. cool j. and i've been saying for months now to my wife that someone needs to dust that song off and just make it bigger. it's awesome. don't call it a comeback, i've been here for years . . .

you'll divide your audience on rap songs, though.

could i play cowbell on don't fear the reaper?

[This message was edited by David Newell on 10-04-06 at .]