TDCAA Community
Thinking about leaving private practice and joing you guys!

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/457098965/m/8407067316

August 15, 2014, 12:40
maestoso
Thinking about leaving private practice and joing you guys!
Hi TDCAA,

I've been in private practice for about two years now. My first year or so, I did anything that came in the door. You name it, I probably saw it.

In the last year or so, I've refined my practice to exclusively serve clients needing criminal defense or post-death judicial proceedings (probate, asset distribution, estate administration, etc.).

Admittedly, it's a weird mix, so I have to market them differently, but it is what I like to do.

Anyway . . . I like the probate side of things. I feel like I do a lot of good; the clients are typically happy to hire me; and I still get to go to court. The only downside is that it becomes quite routine at times, and I question whether there is sufficient variety to interest me over the course of my career.

Lately I've been thinking about doing nothing but criminal defense, or, perhaps, joining you guys on the prosecution side. I always get excited every time I have a defense case. I love talking with the clients, thinking about the issues, and assessing the strengths/weaknesses of each case. Further, I just love going to court. I love it. I've grown a bit wary of some of my clients, though, and I'm gravitating towards prosecution (I'll leave it at that).

Well, I thought I'd ask y'all if you have any thoughts about this. Is it strange for someone to leave private practice to join the DA's office? How could I learn more about the ins and outs of representing the state on a daily basis? Do you love what you do? Do you find it satisfying and invigorating on a daily basis? Do you find it scratches your itch to be in court? If I decide to pursue employment among your ranks, what would be the best way to do so?

I'd love to chat with you more about this.
August 19, 2014, 10:09
Shannon Edmonds
Jump in, the water's fine! Smile

To learn more about a life in prosecution, email Sarah Wolf, our communications director, and she can send you a brochure with more information.
August 19, 2014, 12:30
maestoso
Thank you, Shannon. I will certainly get in touch with her.

(I might bug you with a few more questions once I learn a bit more!)