TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Juvenile Law    Motion for New Trial after certification
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Motion for New Trial after certification Login/Join 
posted
I certified a juvenile to stand trial as an adult. He is indicted and has had several court appearances. The juvenile's attorney filed a Motion for a New Trial in the juvenile court. I objected to it and filed a motion to quash it. Not only did the juvenile court deny my motion to quash, but it also accepted new evidence while it considered the motion for new trial (this is after I already indicted the juvenile as an adult). So my question is: does a juvenile court retain plenary jurisdiction to consider a motion for new trial after certification?
Sarah

Posts: 3 | Location: San Antonio, TX 78216 | Registered: April 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once the case is transferred under Sec. 54.02 (h) it would appear that the court no longer has the authority to act; moreover, the fact that the case has been indicted would seem to prevent the juvenile court judge from taking any further action. Additionally, there is no "judgment" entered for which a motion for new trial would be applicable.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am constantly amazed at the judiciary's ongoing belief that nearly anything can be done if desired by a judge. A writ of prohibition might be in order.

John Bradley
District Attorney
Williamson County, Texas

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post