TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Juvenile Law    Disposition after 17?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disposition after 17? Login/Join 
posted
Child commits offense while 16. He is
only adjudicated (no disposition) before
he turns 17. Child turns 17 and starts acting
up in his CPS placement. Can we now file a Motion for Disposition even though
he's turned 17?

My reading of Section 51.0412 says yes. But
I wanted to double-check.

Posts: 34 | Location: Canyon, TX | Registered: December 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're correct, no "issues" until he's 18.

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe that *18* is the important age for your problem. See In re N.J.A., 997 S.W.2d 554, 555
(Tex. 1999)("Because an adjudication must necessarily precede a disposition, and the juvenile court does not have the authority to conduct a disposition hearing of a juvenile once she is eighteen years old, it follows that the juvenile court does not have the authority to adjudicate a juvenile who is eighteen years old or older either. Logically, once a juvenile becomes eighteen, the juvenile court's jurisdiction does not include the authority to adjudicate the juvenile.")

Posts: 527 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas, | Registered: May 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post