TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Juvenile Law    Charging a Crimestopper's Fee to Juveniles
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Charging a Crimestopper's Fee to Juveniles Login/Join 
posted
Our Juvenile probation department has come to me asking whether or not crimestopper fess can be imposed on: (1) a juvenile adjudication and disposition through court; and (2) on a DPA case.

Does anyone have any experience dealing with this or charge a similar fee.

Robert DuBoise
Assistant District Attorney
Parker County

Posts: 478 | Location: Parker County, Texas | Registered: March 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think not. CCP Art. 42.12 Sec. 11 (a)(21) provides authority for the payment of a crimestoppers fee as a condition of community supervision in county or district court. I do not think the Family Code has an equivalent provision for juvenile cases.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Ken. The provisions in Art. 42 in the Code of Criminal procedure are for adults and don't cover juveniles. Here in Houston, we are facing requests from police agency labs to collect "restitution" reimbursement for the cost of the lab analysis of substances submitted by the police. The applicable provisions for that are in Art. 42.12, Sec.11(1)(19) of the CCP. This is also not applicable in Juvenile cases.

The restitution provisions in the juvenile justice code are the provisions in Sec. 54.041(b) which allows the juvenile court to order a juvenile or parent to pay restitution after an adjudication "...arising from the commission of an offense in which property damage or personal injury occurred...". In 2001 the legislature added Sec. 54.o48 which negated the necessity of pleading for restitution in the petition, but did not expand the scope of the restitution to include anything beyond "property damage or personal injury" as articulated in 54.041.

Posts: 113 | Location: Houston, Texas,USA | Registered: October 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post