TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Juvenile Law    Imancipated Juvenile
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Imancipated Juvenile Login/Join 
posted
They may have covered this in Houston and I just missed it (if so, blame it on the hotel for giving free newspapers w/Soduku puzzles in them).

If a Juvenile (16) who is on probation gets married (the future ex is 18), and then gets picked back up on some sort of violation of conditions of probation, who needs to be contacted to show up at the detention hearing? Does the marriage imancipate the juvenile on the criminal side? Contact the wife or the Mom w/whom the juvi and the bride are living?

Posts: 357 | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only a waiver of jurisdiction (AKA certification) makes a juvenile an adult for criminal purposes.

53.02 speaks of parent, guardian, custodian or other person for purposes of detention so I would argue either parent or spouse but would notify parents regardless.
Court for petition or modification I believe is different:
53.06. SUMMONS. (a) The juvenile court shall direct
issuance of a summons to:
(1) the child named in the petition; (2) the child's parent, guardian, or custodian;
(3) the child's guardian ad litem; AND
(4) any other person who appears to the court to be a proper or necessary party to the proceeding.

[This message was edited by Stacey L. Brownlee on 03-05-07 at .]

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As always, Thanks.

Posts: 357 | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post