TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Juvenile Law    What can juvenile prosecutors provide to the adult side?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What can juvenile prosecutors provide to the adult side? Login/Join 
posted
We've got some requests from the adult side of our office for juvenile records that have been sealed/restricted. What can we give them if this is the case? Also, is there a statute regarding this issue? Thanks!

Posts: 5 | Registered: April 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In particular, I'm asking if the juvenile side can provide chronos, police reports, etc. on the juvenile.

posted Hide Post
58.003(k)
58.007(b) and (g)

This can be a very complex question, too complex for a blanket answer however, the statutes above should give you a good start.

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
oops forgot one:

58.204((b)

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perfect! Thank you so much! If you don't mind me asking, what is y'all's policy regarding this issue?

posted Hide Post
I generally just do a Motion to Release for the records that are needed to the juvi court. Our court here takes them on submission so we don't even do a hearing unless someone objects (which has only happened once in 20+ years).

I send notice to the defense from the juvi case and to current counsel (although I don't think thats required I don't want to have issues later so why not) and then the Judge signs the order that releases the records from whatever agency I have named be it the clerk, my office for the juvi file, the PD or juvi probation.

Happy to send you what I file if you want it.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Changes are coming, effective Sept. 1, 2017:

SB 1304

Posts: 2424 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post