TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Juvenile Law    Civil Commitment for Mentally Retarded Juvenile
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Civil Commitment for Mentally Retarded Juvenile Login/Join 
posted
I have a juvenile who is on juvenile probation but has now been determined unfit to proceed on new charges due to mental retardation. The juvenile court has retained jurisdiction instead of sending the case to our probate court. The state government office that deals with mental health services in our area is looking for placement or out-patient services. Unlike adult cases, they do not have the paperwork to present to a juvenile court. The probate court did not have this either. There has not been a case involving possible commitment of a mentally retarded juvenile in institutional memory. Does anyone have a sample motion and order to commit a mentally retarded juvenile or to order other MHMR-type services? Is there a proper contact in the Texas Department of State Health Services?

I would like to avoid re-inventing the wheel. How do other offices handle civil commitment proceedings against juveniles who are unfit to proceed due to mental retardation? Has anyone ever done this in a juvenile court that has maintained jurisdiction?

Posts: 30 | Location: Galveston, TX | Registered: March 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the paperwork and have done several. Its either the Terrell or Mexia unit that has taken mine in the past, but it has been awhile since I have done one that is MR and not MI. Call or email me and I can send you what I have used. But the best bet is to call the unit directly to see what they want. If you do the motion/order and its not what they want, your PO will waste a trip to the facility because they will not admit them.

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post